Wednesday, August 19, 2015

"Do not allow me to forget you" - Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

 

20/7/15: Second day: was just as amazing. Peace Villages' greeting to me was outstanding. The ones that could understand what was going on gave me the best welcoming! One little boy who struggles with physical motor skills was running to me as fast as he could balance and said my name! That was the first time I have heard him say that!

My forgotten children. Most people have and they receive the bare minimum to keep them going from the government. I guess I have proved to them that I haven't forgotten them these last four years since the first time I have come to visit them when this centre opened. I decided I was going to try do the epic trip to the beach with them.... So my second day here I took 21 disabled peace village residents to the beach for a splash and a seafood lunch. You couldn't wipe the smiles off their faces.








I was taking the ones less abled one by one down to the water's edge to feel it and get wet. Was such a tiring yet such a rewarding experience. Seeing how much fun they were having made me forget how exhausted I was and focus on how I was able to provide this for them: they couldn't pay me back with much expect a thousand thank you's and in hugs. One resident sang a song to me as his thank you!


It was a huge day and one that could easily have been put in the to hard basket. But why???!!!!! These children deserve this experience too. Watching them eat a four course seafood lunch at the beach and cheer each other on with their Pepsi brought tears to my eyes. Truly spectacular. And all of this was made possible with donations. It cost a total of $175!!!! Two buses, 21 residents and a four course seafood lunch.