Friday, April 15, 2016

"Vaccines are the tugboats of preventive health" William Foege

First stage of bumping the mumps is complete!

I arranged for the Doctor to come and vaccinate all 50 children for Measles, Mumps and Rubella. It was easier to get the Dr to come to the orphanage than take them all there. At first they were all excited at the prospect of missing school and seeing me. I think they all thought I was going to take them out.
I was not very popular at being the person to cause them pain with the jab. If only I knew how to say 'it's for your own good!' in Vietnamese!

I must say I was impressed by the entire operation: they took each child's temperature, filled out a checklist, did a quick assessment and then they got their jab.


The kids were all so good and helped each other through it. The older ones trying to keep the younger ones calm and the boys laughing and teasing each other to ease the nerves of the jabs.





The cake they got after their jab seemed to make them forget quite quickly about the jab.

Huge thank you again to all who donated and made this mission possible!!!!

Booster shot set for six weeks time and I have already looked into the chicken pox vaccine up next for when I return in July.

When I return back home, I will talk to people from the public health unit in Australia and seek advice about the best way to move forward. The goal is to get the children immunised for everything!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment